The Oak Leaves on my Shoulder

 My first encounter with symbols wasn't through a religious emblem such as the cross, but rather through my father's tattoos. He had one on each arm—on one, the word "Mother," and on the other, a depiction of birds. I wish I had captured photos of them, but smartphones weren't around at the time. Tattoos seemed taboo during my childhood, something risky and even dangerous.

I recall reading a book about tattoos that described sailors getting tattoos of the crucifix on their backs to avoid being whipped for misbehaviour. I vividly remember the image of a sailor's back adorned with an elaborate cross and Jesus upon it—anyone would certainly think twice before whipping someone with such a symbol. For a long time, I considered getting a tattoo, but my thoughts swung like a pendulum, never settling on a decision or design.

Carl Jung once said, "We can find all the symbols we need in our unconscious. They are waiting there to be recognized." As I pondered what symbol to get, I thought of trees, particularly oak leaves. Trees have long held symbolic significance in various religious traditions. For example, the Tree of Life represents the web of connection of all life, divine presence, and cosmic order in Christianity, Judaism, Islam, and many indigenous cultures.

For me, the oak tree symbolizes strength, continuity, and change. The oak is a symbol of stability and resilience, as Jung explains: "The tree is an image of the living self. The roots and the crown are the same. Both are rooted in the unconscious." The oak tree on my shoulder and upper arm would serve as a reminder of my own journey of growth, transformation, and connection to the world around me.

In embracing the power of symbols, we can gain insight into our own beliefs, values, and aspirations. As Jung posited, "Symbols can help us to better understand our spiritual path and strengthen our connection to the divine." By etching the symbol of the oak tree upon my body, I would not only be honouring my father's tattoos but also acknowledging the deep personal meaning of symbols and their transformative power in our lives.



Comments