A Spiritual Comedy. Act One

The Soul and The Desire sit under a tree.... they are both playing conkers. 

Enter The Messenger. 

The Messenger: I come with good tidings

The Soul: I knew it... I knew it....this is so exciting!

The Desire: Really. What is it this time?

The Messenger: Behold........I bring 'The Unknown'.....

Enter The Unknown

The Unknown: Behold! I am 'The Unknown'



The Soul (Stands up quickly) Oh! I expected something a little more grandeur.

The Unknown: BEHOLD! I AM, THE UNKNOWN!

The Desire: He said grandeur, not louder.....

The Messenger: Let us marvel at the possibilities.

The Soul: (Pulls The Messenger to the one-side) I'm wanting this.....but there's something missing with this picture.

The Desire: I'm not caring for this.... is there a pub near here?

The Soul: I'm comprehending the unknown, but I need something more practical... a little concrete?

The Unknown: By the gods and goddesses and all that which is in-between! No, you can't have something concrete! I am THE UNKNOWN.

The Soul: I understand that....I get the over-arching principle of your premis, put can we put something in writing?

The Desire: I fancy a burger with my pint, pint of cider would wash that down very nicely. Salsa or Mayo on the Burger that is the question?

The Unknown: Writing something down goes against my ethos.

The Soul: Oh, so you have your own raison d'etre, mission statement?

The Unknown: (with some inpatience) Not really a Mission Statement.........

The Desire: Perhaps a bowl of chips to start with.......

The Soul takes The Desire to one side

The Soul: Will you shut up about pub food.

The Unknown: I think your missing the point about the Unknown.

The Soul: Perhaps..... but I'm imagining for something to know, to comprehend, to feed this (he taps his chest)....what have you to offer?

The Messenger: Well I have stood here long enough in silence I can introduce you to...... Behold The Land! [Enter The Land - he is not happy]

The Unknown: Thank you The Messenger, Farewell (They hug) [The messenger exits]

The Desire: Do you know where the nearest pub is?

The Land: Hello Lads....

The Desire: Yes, Hello....do you know when the nearest pub is my old friend?

The Soul: For the love of all the gods and goddesses and everything in-between!

The Unknown: Behold I am still here!

The Land: Thank you..... for your clarification.... I'm here for you both, what is your needs?

The Desire: Needs...I'm just one big need, for now I want to go to the pub?

The Soul: (Grabs The Desire) Will you get a grip of yourself! Have some self control!

The Desire: (Gently releases The Soul from him, with some consideralby strength).... my friend and constant companion, only the lack of age and drink is my need.

The Unknown: Perhaps I can fill in that gap? Seeking me will do something for that need?

The Desire: Truly, The Unknown can fill in that need? How can fulfilment of this (Points to his stomach) be fulfilled by (Waves his arms dramatically around then points to The Unknown) by you?

The Land: (coughs) Me, on the other hand, have a lot to offer that (he points to The Desires stomach)

The Desire: Indeed you do my friend..... you know where the pub is located?

The Soul: This is getting beyond the Joke! My friends Estragon and Vladmir had the same bloody problem..... here lies the conflict my friend, The Unknown is in front of us.... is it not sufficent enough to fulfil our need?

The Unknown: You have it?

The Soul (Falls to his knees and prays dramatically) Let us pray.

Silence

The Desire: Maybe later, I'm going to the pub, coming (Says to The Land, and then to The Unknown)

The Land: My friend, I think you misunderstand. Me and The Unknown (The Land walks over to The Unknown), well we have a date. We have always been togther...... Like you my friends.

The Unknown: Goodbye.... I'm sorry. (He pats the head of The Soul who is still praying)

The Land and The Unknown exit. 

The Desire: You have got to be joking........

The Soul: (still in prayer).... didn't see that coming?

The Desire: Will you open you eyes then!

The Soul: I'm in deep contemplation and reflection.

The Desire: Already!

The Soul: Be quiet. I'm having a moment.

Silence 

The Desire: (Sits next to him, bored)

The Soul: Shhh

The Desire: I haven't said anything.

The Soul: Shhh

The Deisre: Oh come on, lets go for a pint!

Pause 

The Desire: When in Rome. (He goes onto his knees and prays)

Silence 

The Soul: It's time.

The Desire: It's time?

The Soul and The Desire stand and exit. 

Finish






Comments